Monday, August 10, 2009

On homeschooling...

Today is the first day of school here and while we don't really stick to the public school calendar we did put all new art supplies in our art caddy and sit down and "start" school today. Homeschooling is the right thing for our family right now, but I would be lying if I said it wasn't hard. It is hard, very hard, and sometimes I think I can't do it. But it is so worth it. How funny that today on the "first day of school" I got a reminder of just how worth it, it is.

It was noon and we had already eaten breakfast, showered, eaten lunch, picked up, etc. and we had also finished all of our school work for the day. So just after lunch I look outside and this is what I see, Eryn and Ely outside exploring with binoculars and magnifying glasses.
Eryn was watching some birds learn to fly and Ely was watching water bugs in a container he had left outside. I thought to myself - "Oh yes this is why I do this. The day is only half way over and we are all done with school and they still have half the day to explore, to do whatever they decide is interesting to them." This is just one of many reasons we homeschool - so that our kids will have time - time to play and explore and follow their own interests.

When I came inside from taking pictures I found that Finn, who always must be doing what his siblings are, had gone in the drawer and found himself a pair of binoculars.

(Oh and don't get me started on how hard it is to homeschool with a 16 month in tow!)

1 comment:

kclblogs said...

I need a few of those moments because I'm just starting and it feels overwhelming. I hope to be settled into it soon.