Sunday, June 12, 2011

Craft Hope Project 12

For Project 12, Craft Hope is partnering with Orphan Outreach to provide bracelets to orphans in Russia. I knew this would be a great project to work on with the kids. We talked about orphans in different parts of the world and how they live and how something as little as a bracelet could really mean a lot to them. Ely wanted to know if orphans, even if they didn't have a family, at least had someone to watch over them. Sadly, I had to tell him no, all orphans do not have someone to watch over them. Then he wanted to know if the bracelets would be given to those orphans also. I told him, I hope so.

From the Orphan Outreach website: "There are more than 143 million orphans around the world. The majority don’t live in orphanages, they live in communities. They live in extreme poverty and many are homeless.”

More statistics from the Craft Hope website:
  • Every day 5,760 more children become orphans.
  • Approximately 250,000 children are adopted annually, but…
  • Every year 14,050,000 children still grow up as orphans and AGE OUT of the system.
  • More than 1 million orphans are waiting for a home in Russia.

Bracelets made by Eryn, Ely and myself.

The deadline is this week but bracelets don't take long to make - there is still time to participate.

No comments: