I'm reading this book - Buddhism for Mothers - a calm approach to caring for yourself and your children by Sarah Napthali. It has chapters covering topics such as parenting mindfully, finding calm, dealing with anger, all things I find very relevant in my parenting journey. As I was reading a chapter on worrying I came across this quote:
"Throughout history, most women have lived in constant domestic drudgery, their children often fell seriously ill or died, their husbands owned them as property and marriage breakdown could push them into domestic labour or prostitution. Most women held no status in society, and found little compassion for their plight. To these women, suffering and unsatisfactoriness would have been such an integral part of life it would not have been questioned - and a large proportion of women around the world still live in such conditions."
Although none of this is new information to me, something about this quote really resonated with me so I wanted to share it. I am very grateful that I am living the life I am and that I am able to choose to spend my days caring for my children.
No comments:
Post a Comment